Calling all photographers!
Notre Dame International is looking for photos that tell a story and provide a glimpse into the study abroad experience. We want to see images from different perspectives to encourage and inspire prospective study abroad applicants to go further. We also hope these photos encourage alums of Notre Dame’s study abroad programs to reflect on their time abroad. This photo contest is a great opportunity to provide the Notre Dame community with a visual glimpse into your experience, so be as creative as you’d like!
Fall 2021 NDI Photo Contest
January 31, 2022
All Notre Dame undergraduates who are attending a study abroad program during the Fall 2021 semester are eligible to submit photos for this contest. Photos must have been taken during your time abroad in your host country in 2021.
One grand prize winner and two honorable mentions will be awarded per category.
- 1st place photo: $100
- Honorable mentions: $50 each
Photo Composition Guidelines
Photos submitted should capture the heart of the study abroad experience and highlight your ability to become a stronger and more informed global citizen. While artistic quality and unique perspectives are important, submissions should also illustrate at least one of these four themes:
Cultures, Customs, History, Traditions & International Friendship
Illustrate an introductory understanding of your host country in relation to its history, values, politics, communication styles, attitudes, economy, or beliefs and practices, and/or showcase interactions with the local community and relationships with locals and host families.
ND Irish Abroad
Show off your Notre Dame pride abroad in your host country by featuring Notre Dame or a Study Abroad Go Further sticker in some way.
Exhibit creativity, innovation, and interaction in the pursuit of intellectual interests by engaging in class activities, international research, internships, community engagement, and/or service learning in your host country.
Scenes from Abroad
Photographer’s choice - showcase your creative photography skills (use of light, photo angle, etc.) with photos of your host country. Inspire curiosity and open-mindedness. No edited photos please.
General Guidelines for All Photos
- Students are encouraged to be subjects in the photos
- Photos should tell the story of study abroad experience
- Photos must be taken in the actual study abroad host city or country
In submitting photos to the contest, you agree that NDI may use them for promotional and commercial purposes without further permission, conditions, or compensation.
- The content of your images must be in accordance with the University's code of conduct.
- Submit ORIGINAL high-resolution photos, minimum of 1800 pixels on the longest side (check photo properties). Photos that were posted to sites such as Facebook, Instagram, etc., and then downloaded for submission will have been automatically downsized by those sites.
- Color photos are preferred, but black and white photos will be considered.
- Make sure people in the photos have given permission for you to take their image AND have it published on social media, in NDI print publications, and other media outlets.
CONSIDER THE ETHICS OF YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY
- Is your photo respectful to the subject(s) and the host country?
- Did the people in your photo consent to be photographed and are they aware you’re submitting it into a photo contest?
- Does your photo feature children? If so, did you receive permission from their parent or guardian to take and share the photo?
- Does your photo promote any negative stereotypes or false generalizations about the subject(s) or the host country?
A maximum of two photos per category per student may be submitted for consideration.
You MUST review AND follow these instructions BEFORE submitting your photos.
Submissions in the categories of Cultures, Customs, History, Traditions & International Friendship, ND Irish Abroad, and Academic Pursuit will be judged by a committee composed of members of the Study Abroad Team and members of the NDI Communications Team. The judges will be looking for photos that best fit the theme of each category, demonstrate the photographer’s creativity, and showcase artistic merit.
Photos submitted in the category of Scenes from Abroad will be narrowed down to the top 10 by the judging committee. Those top 10 photos will then be posted on NDI’s social media pages for a public vote. The photo that receives the most likes will win this category.
Upon award, winning photographs will be posted to our website and shared on social media. In the future, any photos submitted to the contest may be used in print pieces, at events, and in promotional materials.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.