Calling all photographers!
Notre Dame International is looking for photos that tell a story and provide a glimpse into the study abroad experience. We want to see images from different perspectives to encourage and inspire prospective study abroad applicants to go further. We also hope these photos encourage alums of Notre Dame’s study abroad programs to reflect on their time abroad. This photo contest is a great opportunity to provide the Notre Dame community with a visual glimpse into your experience, so be as creative as you’d like!
2019 NDI Photo Contest Information
January 31, 2020
All Notre Dame undergraduates who are attending a study abroad program in 2019 (calendar year - spring/summer/fall) are eligible to submit photos for this contest. Photos must have been taken during your time abroad in 2019.
- 1st place photo: $500
- 2nd place photo: $400
- 3rd place photo: $300
- Honorable mention: $100 each (judges reserve the right to determine the number of honorable mention photos)
Photo Composition Guidelines
Photos submitted should capture the heart of the study abroad experience and highlight your ability to become a stronger and more informed global citizen. While artistic quality and unique perspectives are important, submissions should also illustrate at least one of the three themes listed below.
- Exhibit creativity and innovation in the pursuit of intellectual interests by engaging in international, research, internships, community engagement, and/or service learning
- Integrate relevant disciplinary approaches, cultural perspectives, and Catholic intellectual tradition
- Cultivate new perspectives about one's own cultural rules and biases
- Inspire curiosity and open-mindedness
- Integrate into the local environment promoting an introductory understanding of the elements important to members of another culture in relation to its history, values, politics, communication styles, economy, or beliefs and practices
- Foster independence, personal confident, and self-reliance in a novel environment
- Critically analyze core values, beliefs, and attributes
- Reflect on how to become better contributors to the global community
Tips from the pros!
- Use the rule of thirds
- Avoid large group photos and obvious selfies
- A Notre Dame presence of some kind is always encouraged
- Over-filtered photos have limited use and will likely not be considered
Submissions will be judged by a committee composed of NDI staff and University photographer, with criteria of creativity, technical, and artistic merit. Upon award, winning photographs will be posted to our website and shared on social media; in the future, they may be used in print pieces, at events, and in promotional materials.
In submitting photos to the contest, you agree that NDI may use them for promotional and commercial purposes without further permission, conditions, or compensation.
- The content of your images must be in accordance with the University's code of conduct.
- Submit ORIGINAL high-resolution photos, minimum of 1800 pixels on the longest side (check photo properties). Photos that were posted to sites such as Facebook, Instagram, etc., and then downloaded for submission will have been automatically downsized by those sites.
- Color photos are preferred, but black and white photos will be considered.
- Make sure people in the photos have given permission for you to take their image AND have it published on social media, in NDI print publications, and other media outlets.
- A maximum of five photos per student may be submitted for consideration.
The 2019 photo contest is closed. It will reopen in late spring, for the 2020 photo contest.
Questions? Contact Dyann Mawhorr.