Study Abroad is very popular at Notre Dame, and in order to make your application stand out, Study Abroad Compass and the information below will help you select a program, craft a well-written personal statement, and give you general information about the application timeline. If you haven't yet completed Study Abroad Compass, please consider reviewing the material there as it is substantial in nature and will provide assistance in developing your application.
Academic standing and adherence to community standards are among the factors for study abroad eligibility. Other factors include:
- Language requirements
- Class level
- Visa eligibility
While exploring your options, be sure to:
- Ensure academic compatibility
- Consider possible accessibility concerns
- Attend Study Abroad Week events
- Watch information session videos
- Consult with your academic advisors and study abroad program directors
- To give approvers (advising dean and DUS) and reference writers (academic, language, and rector ) time to submit their information, keep in mind application deadlines.
- Academic year, semester, and summer applications are due in mid-November.
- Some programs may have capacity limits and can be selective. Be intentional about your program choice and ranking. If you have questions about your chosen program's selectiveness, please consult the program director.
While being intentional, creative, and bold, tell us about your passion for this program and what this study abroad experience means for you as you address your goals for attending the chosen program. Many more suggestions for how to craft a strong personal statement can be found in Study Abroad Compass.
- Electronically sign the Participation Agreement
- Complete and submit the study abroad application questionnaire(s)
- Send all required approval (advising dean & DUS) and reference (academic, language, rector) requests
PLEASE NOTE: All applications will require a rector reference; very few programs will require an academic and/or language reference.
When applying to study abroad, be sure to keep these things in mind:
Maximum number of applications:
- For academic year/semester programs: you may apply to a maximum of two different programs. DO NOT apply to different terms for the same program. You will be notified to rank your programs AFTER the application deadline.
- For summer programs: you may apply to a maximum of two different programs. Ranking for summer program applications is done within the application portal.
- Semester of choice: Select your first-choice term for the program to which you are applying. If you are not able to participate in an alternate semester, be sure to provide your reason(s) within the application questionnaire.
- Advising dean and DUS approvals: Applicants other than freshmen must schedule separate meetings with the director of undergraduate studies (DUS) of their major(s) AND an associate/assistant dean. Most schools and colleges set deadlines for granting approvals.
- Academic and language references (as required): Please ask your professors before listing them as an academic or language reference. Once you submit your reference request, the faculty member will receive a notification email. Please note: Academic references MUST BE from ND faculty/staff who have taught and/or graded you for a 3-credit course in an academic discipline.
- Students living on-campus: please identify your Rector
- Students living off-campus: please identify your former Rector
After You Apply
- Check your application page frequently to ensure all references and academic approvals have been received.
- We are unable to evaluate your application until all materials have been submitted.
- Decisions regarding study abroad applications are announced:
- January 15, 2021 for academic year/semester programs*
- December 18, 2020 for summer programs*
- The commit deadline is the same for both summer and semester/academic year programs: January 22, 2021
*Please note, these dates are subject to change.
For questions regarding study abroad opportunities or applications, contact Study Abroad.